Sunday, September 18, 2005

Shift To The Back

Work started at 4:30pm, Friday. However, college finished at the same time. I had known this from Monday and was finally forced to make a decision when this time came.

I didn't want to miss my last college lesson of the week, but I didn't want to miss my first shift at work either. I bunked off and arrived back home in time to get to work, I was planning re-arranging the schedule once I got there and discussing possible alterations to the rota. Once I had turned up, the small induction to new staff at the restaurant had already begun, I was the only male in the room at this point. There was all sorts of giggling and many whispered comments floating around the area but I wasn't too phased, I couldn't expect them to be that polite. I was told I would be working at the bar for the evening which sounded pretty good at the time. I introduced myself to the woman I would be working with and she glanced at my name badge and said "Hi Thomas"
"Oh, please...Call me Tom" I quickly replied.
It wasn't busy initially and I was just told to open bottles of wine, I'd never tried it before but picked it up quite quickly, I'm usually a slow learner.
"This is where the pint glasses are, the half pint glasses, wine glasses, beer, spirits, coffee machine, measuring cups..."
"Uh huh...Uh huh...Yup...Gotcha"
It was a heck of a lot to take in, and it didn't get any easier...

"Thomas go to cellar and get on list"
"I'm sorry?"
"List, you go - elevator"
"Right Okay"
I couldn't understand her the whole night, she persisted calling me 'Thomas' too, which was slightly off-putting. She was small and from an Asian background, spoke little English. Why was I being trained by someone who finds it difficult to speak the language of the trainee?
The manager (female) spoke.
"Thomas do you have an apron?"
"No I was never given one" I answered
"Here, this one hasn't been claimed by anyone, use this"
I put the apron on but before I tied the knot the woman I was working with quickly grabbed it and did it for me, tight. The girls all laughed followed by the manager shouting "Bless him he's only small!"
I felt so patronized, It felt like I was 15 again. The feeling of insignificance, like I was still a child.
The manager consistantly looking dead into my eyes and saying "Are you okay love?" This just didn't feel right...The nicer she was trying to be, the more rage I bottled up. No authority in any situations, my futher jobs were the worst ones - mopping the floors and folding the cardboard boxes up to recycle.

Pouring pints was the only thing I enjoyed, probably because I was desperate for one myself being in this situation. We didn't finish until 00:20 in the morning, sorry but I have more important things to stay up that late doing, assignments.

This is all im good for? I'm not going back, I'll have my wages please, I refuse to be a victim - by not turning up for work last night, I have the feeling that I had the last laugh.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh Tomeh! I'm sorry you had such a terrible time. But you know, the first few days are the hardest because there is soooo much to learn and you feel like you'll never be able to get it all. You also have to remember that in most jobs you have to start out at the bottom, (ie: running errands, breaking down boxes, etx.) Once you've been there for awhile and proven yourself, then you get to do the better jobs. So don't give in so quickly. Next time, maintain confidence and just do your job to the best of your ability. I promise you it will be rewarded.

Agnes said...

Rats! Terribly sorry things turned so awful.

I will say that those people didn't give one whit about you. It just feels degrading.

It took many, many years for me to stop allowing work situations to feel personal. Now I simply put them (co-workers) out of my mind entirely. I am not required to acknowledge their moodswings or the pettiness of their character.
I am a unique individual and there are plenty of things I like about myself.

You too have much to give and many wonderful talents. You are better than they. The job is barely even a stepping stone for you. For them it is a career.
How's that for perspective??

Love to you. To hell with them! ;)

t0meh said...

Ah - I feel a lot better now, Thanks for your comments :) Hoping all goes well next shift!