Sunday, September 11, 2005

Zero Denim

Tearing apart my induction letter I was eager to see when my induction at Center Parcs was. It would of been an exhausting thought to think that the induction would take place over a string of days or possibly a whole weekend. Well, that was precisely it, after having to fill in tons of data protection act forms, tax forms, medical forms, proof-I'm-a-British-citizen forms plus avoiding the pension scheme - I found out that I was actually attending an induction this weekend. Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 9-5, hence the longer break in the pleasure of blogging.

OK so I was going to get paid...Let's not complain too much. After all what with all the suing and compensation in the world these days, companies must of course make sure you understand the shown 1970's induction videos of fire, health and safety. Reading further down I noticed, in bold lettering - 'No Jeans / Sportswear' I was going to be a waiter and this wasn't what I was going to be wearing, so I thought it best to wear my smart black trousers and a longsleeve white shirt laced with a subtle pattern, nothing too bad on the eyes. You can only make first impressions once of course, so I abided to the note.

Saturday morning comes and I find my way to the training room, very nice - the supermarket I previously worked had was in no comparison to this. New, varnished wooden tables, comfy seats, brochures, welcome packs, day visit passes, electronic keys, name badges and maps were just the start. Tons of staff benefits awaited us, making the average employee feel that little more special and part of a team. I walked into the room, what happens? Yup, they're all wearing Jeans, T-shirt, Jacket, gleaming white shoes complete with various accessories attatched to their faces. It was as if I had arrived dressed in blue, walking into a room where everyone is wearing...Red. Luckily, a couple of the older trainees were wearing fairly smart clothes too.

I needed a uniform and went along with 2 others to collect it. I gave my measurements and signed for the items, there I walked right down to the changing room which looked of a fair size from the outside. I went inside and the other 2 guys were getting changed on the bench the size of an ant's foot. Getting changed on the staff bathroom floor...Great, I wasn't impressed so far.

Next came slideshows and various talks. All those that are familiar with 'Microsoft Powerpoint' - about 6 of them came up, each with about (literally) 40 slides. Very boring, no group work - just had to be all ears and answer very lame questions "Should you use water on an electric fire?"


Now I was faced with a dilemma, should I of arrived on Sunday - but this time wearing Jeans and T-shirt? I could of done but, what if all those wearing Jeans and T-shirt on the Saturday thought "Crap! Best get here tomorrow wearing something a little more respectable!" I wasn't sure, after I had shown people in the letter why I was dressed in this manner, I thought they might of taken that on-board.

I picked the wrong card again on Sunday. I tried the smart clothes option again since I didn't want anyone to notice the rash change in style. Here I come...Door, corridor, walking, double doors, walking, "Hi Lynn, uh-huh, uh-huh - yes my uniform is a great fit, cheers!", still walking, faster...I don't want the door to slam before I can attempt to hold it open, right turn - I'm there at last.

Every bastard dressed in the worlds most casual fashion approach, Jeans and T-shirt.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh no!!!!!!! You know what though...you did the right thing. You followed as the letter instructed and speaking as an employer myself...I would have definetly been very impressed by you and very worried about the others b/c if they couldn't follow this basic instruction, how could I trust them with their job responsibilities. Good for you Tomeh...don't let them be a bad influence.

By the way...how did your Ashes thing go with Australia? Innocent Bystander was talking a little bit about it on his blog.

t0meh said...

Aw cheers linny, nice to know that your an employer too. Since this is the case, it's likely my employer thought in her head a similar point!

It's the last day of the ashes tomorrow, both teams are fairly even, the weather is against Australia as it's currently dull/showers - weather wise, which is great because if it is rained off as a 'draw' we win the series and the ashes :) (for the first time since '86)

Ta for your comment, your words are valuable as always people!

Agnes said...

OMG Tomeh, this is the story of my life. I'm never ever dressed for the occasion. Bad Karma I guess.
You have my deepest sympathy. It SUCKS to be a sore thumb.

Of course, as Linny said, you most likely made a better impression than others. I'm sure the employer is thinking "He's a keeper."

I remember a friend of mine, always impeccibly dressed. I asked, "don't you feel overdressed for work?". She said, "You can never be overdressed for work or dinner. You CAN be underdressed though."
When I think of her, I realize that I always thought she was very beautiful and cultured. It was all in the clothes. :)